September 2016



Bulls maintain 100% Start Just


Holt maintained their perfect start to the season but only just as they were so nearly made to pay for a host of misses in a keenly contested game played at a rain sodden Petersham Lane. The Bulls were indebted to Mike Haskill who put them into a 2 goal lead, however the hosts were guilty of spurning a host of chances with wayward finishing

Holt v Dorch Spts Photo courtesy of DPL

and good saves from the visiting keeper kept Dorchester in the game and it came as no surprise when with 20 minutes to go Sports reduced the arrears through a tidy finish to set up some nervy final minutes for the Home faithfull, to be fair Holt deserved this win but it could have and Should have been by a bigger margin.

Cranes deservedly get 1st win


Two sides fighting for points at the bottom of the table put in a fully committed and entertaining game for spectators in torrential rain at Cranborne recreation ground. Both side created several opportunities in the opening 20 minutes and Cranborne's seeming reluctance to pull the trigger came back to kick them in the backside when Peter Bray broke free of a static Cranborne back line to neatly slot the ball home after 22 minutes. Both sides continued to look dangerous up until the break with Sherborne being unable to hit the target with several half chances from distance and Cranborne still seemingly being reluctant to shoot when opportunities arose. HT 0-1 Cranborne started the second half on the front foot and seemed the more likely to score but Sherborne again broke the offside trap and Brayed bagged his and Sherborne's 2nd after 42 minutes. At this point the writing looked to be on the wall but to their credit Cranborne continued to press and look the more likely. The turning point came after 60 minutes when Brandon Wellham reacted to some verbal provocation gaining a booking for his reaction. Cranborne immediately decided it was better to end the game with 11 players than 10 and substituted Wellham for Adam Long. The change was decisive when less than a minute later Long controlled the ball in the area, held off the defender and layer the ball in to the path of Lewis Ryan who hit an

unstoppable drive into the top right hand corner. 4 minutes later Long peeled off the last Sherborne defender and latched on to a through ball before blasting a left foot strike beyond a static Sherborne goal keeper. With Cranborne now in the ascendancy the decision not to withdraw Charlie Weir after a reckless if non-malicious challenge after 72 minutes saw him pick up a booking was rewarded when he met a left wing cross after 79 minutes to score with a glorious diving header to win the game. Matt Read in the home goal then made a glorious save low down to his left hand side to keep the final score 3-2 to the home side. Two side at the lower reaches of the league should be congratulated for a thoroughly entertaining game which in reality could have gone either way. credit should also go to the 3 officials who controlled a competitive fixture assuredly and sensibly.

“Sports hammer the Hammers”


Westlands continued their improved form with their second 5-1 victory of the week at a rain- soaked Alvington. Westlands took an early lead in the 4th minute from the penalty spot with LOUIS IRWIN despatching the kick. United levelled things up in the 35th minute when ASA PHILLIPS thumped in a free kick from 20 yards. In the second half Westlands piled on the pressure and went ahead in the 55th minute when MATT WATSON headed in. Two minutes later HENRY LAWRENCE-NAPIER scored from close range and that virtually put the game to bed. Two more goals from LEO HAYWARD, one direct from a free kick, made the final total five. This win sees Sports move up into 2nd place in the League Table

page1image42728 page1image42888

Royals pip the Cherries



never looked threatened by the Sturminster attack and were able to win the game 2-1. A home win was the perfect way for Chris Emms’ side to bounce back after Wednesdays defeat, with three points moving them up to 12th in the league.

Parley runout winners


Quite an even first half at a wet Parley. The yellows should have taken the lead in the 25th minute when Parley were awarded a penalty. However, Matt Newbery saw his spot kick saved by Gillingham's keeper, who then held the tame rebound header, Although Parley were on top there were no real chances of note in the first half. A couple of efforts from range from both teams lead to comfortable saves at each end. The second half started in heavy rain and Parley took the lead in the 73rd minute. Ben Bosley finished a fluid move down the Parley right, lashing in a right footed effort off the inside of the far post, from the right side of the box. Gillingham pushed for an equaliser, sending thei keeper up for a late free kick. However, Parley cleared and Jake Line latched on to the clearance and raced forward. His shot towards the open goal was slid in by fellow substitute Dan Hiscock in the 3rd minute of stoppage time. A clean, well contested game, that somehow racked up 5 or 6 yellow cards, finished soon after.

Blandford United bounced back from midweeks 10-0 defeat to beat Sturminster Newton 2-1 yesterday in the Dorset Premier League. It was an evenly matched, but wet and windy, first half with both sides missing good chances to get themselves ahead in the game. First George Preston shot inches wide of the post after good work by his team. Then Blandford had the ball in the back of the net in the 23rd minute, however the goal was judged to be offside by the linesman and the teams stayed level. With the rain coming down heavily and the wind blowing in all directions, visibility was difficult for both sides. However, that didn’t prevent United right back Tom Oliver, quite often the difference for his side in the first half, from clearing the ball off the line just before half time to make sure the teams still went into the break level. With the rain refusing to abate, the second half turned out to be a livelier affair. United went ahead in the 53rd minute after being awarded a free kick 30 yards out. Joe Wells stepped up to take it and pulled a fine save out of Sturminster keeper Chris Frear, only Ellis Greenslade followed up the loose ball to score from the rebound. The game was level again not long after though. Sturminster forward Jamie Danoris’ shot was saved by United keeper Danny Cousins, only for Richard Bryant to score from another rebound to make it 1-1. Paul Ford scored the winner for the home side in the 67th minute, a long ball into the Sturminster box was not dealt with well by defender Neil Sweatman who missed his header. Ford latched on to the loose ball and took two touches in the box before steadying himself to slot the ball past Chris Frear. The game ended on a sour note when United captain Tom Oliver was sent off after a kick out at an opposing player. The home side were forced to hold on for the remainder of the game, United

Parley v Gillingham M Newberry about to see his pen saved Photo courtesy of Steve Harris

Merley stun the Bees


Merley continued their good start to the season with this well-deserved win against a Bridport side that has now lost its last 2 games after winning their opening 4. The first half was very open but the rich endeavour on show resulted without too many attempts on goal from either side. Bridport went closest but failed to find the net after a goalmouth scramble. Merley started the 2nd half much the stronger team and and went ahead on 50 minutes when Matt Groves confidently put away a penalty after Joe Dawe was brought down by the Bridport keeper. It wasn't long before Merley doubled their lead when Matt Groves turned provider for Sam Elliott to put the hosts 2 up on 65 minutes. From then on Merley took control of the game but were unable to add to their tally as they saw the game out safely with few scares to claim the points and move into 6th place in the table with Bridport dropping to 7th position.




Rec control the Rangers


After a positive start to the game and a spell of good possession Wareham got a deserved lead in the 21st minute with Rich Parsons getting his first goal of the season with a good finish into the bottom corner. Wareham could and should have extended the lead further but the Hamworthy goalkeeper pulled off 3 further outstanding saves before the interval. Wareham started the second half positively and again should have extended the lead but the visiting keeper made excellent saves keeping Hamworthy Recreation in the game, Wareham were then made to pay for their misses when against the run of play and with only minutes remaining a lapse of concentration from a corner was punished by a good finish on 87 minutes through Mark Smith. Wareham were again denied by the Hamworthy goalkeeper tipping a cross come shot onto the bar but it was Hamworthy who got a smash and grab victory within the final minutes of injury time when a free header was put beyond Chris Bennett in goal for Wareham by Rec’s Substitute Scott Logan. This defeat was rough justice on the hosts as they did more than enough to secure the victory but for the visitors goalkeeping heroics and their late late show.

Swans win on the road


Swanage made the long trip to Mere and after an entertaining game in which the visitors dominated for long spells returned to the Purbecks with all 3 points after a deserved win against the Moonrakers. Mere started brightly and on 14 minutes took the lead through a Sam Patterson strike, Swanage replied swiftly and on 24 minutes equalised through Sam Beale. The visitors went on to dominate the remainder of the half and deservedly took the lead in the 36th minute following a fine finish from Graham Rose. The 2nd half mirrored the 1st half almost identically with Mere starting the better only for the Swans to dominate the latter stages. Mere scored an equaliser through Aaron Lane-Laney on 53 minutes only for the visitors to go on and dominate proceedings for the remainder of the game. On 67 minutes Rose notched his 2nd and the Swans 3rd. 10 Minutes it was 4 as Chris Woods finished smartly to secure the win and the 3 points. All in all a good days work for the men from the Purbecks.